A different Jade...
"Serpentine Jade"
(Necklace) Price: $ 60.00 SOLD
Serpentine Jade is often referred to as Hsiu or 'New' Jade by the Chinese crafters and artisans and is used as a much less expensive alternative to the 'true' Jades: Nephrite and Jadeite. Don't get me wrong though, Serpentine in its several variations has been used by Chinese artists for thousands of years. A magnesium-silicate, it is typically softer and less dense, and more easily worked than the harder Nephrite and Jadeite. Real jade appears bright, glassy, or greasy to look at, while serpentine typically is dull, with a waxy, or soapy feel. Other colloquial names like 'Olive Jade' or 'Korean Jade' reflect some of those topical Serpentine aspects. The selection of Serpentine that I found in Lisa's hoard is particularly luminous and practically glows. Among the beads were a matching pair of carved focals that resembled flowers. I spent two long engineering sessions experimenting with how to suspend the focals until one (the one used above) I used a simple silver pinch bail on, and the other is a bit more complicated with wrapped silver wire...which may end up changed in the future. Anyway I made the base metal gold and added bright silver accents for contrast and to suggest moonlight. The two flanking dangles are freshwater blister pearls, also adding to the moonlight allure. Overall, I love the luminosity and light and airy feel of the finished design. According to crystal lore, Serpentine is associated with the heart chakra and promotes emotional balance and clearance of energy blockages.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home